Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Crisis averted.....for now.....

Today, Mom put money into our checking account. (We bank with a national bank, and she has a branch near her.) So our financial crisis fire has been put out for now, but it's going to keep smouldering until we get some more income coming in.

I really don't know how I feel about it. Mom said not to worry about it, that she has put aside a small sum of money for her trip up here in December, so she was just going to take less, so it was ok with her. She said she doesn't mind helping, because some day she may need help, too.

But it still bothers me - did God allow for this to happen, or did I somehow not have enough faith that he was going to come through with some other means? I'm reminded of this old story:

A man is stranded on his roof during a mighty storm. The area is flooded. He cannot move. He prays to God to rescue him. An hour passes and a man in a small boat rows past. “Hop it”, says the oars man. No says the man on the roof, “God will rescue me”.

Sometime later a bigger boat appears and then a helicopter. Both are greeted with the same response “I’ll wait for God to rescue me.”

The man dies of hypothermia. He reaches the gates of heaven and greets God with anger. “I prayed for help and you ignored my prayer!”

“I did answer your prayer,” says God, “I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”


So, perhaps Mom was supposed to be the one helping this time.....

No comments: